Sunday, March 14, 2010

An introduction.

So, I decided to start an additional blog focused on vegetarian/veganism, health, and fitness in general.

Here's why:

  • I have a strong passion for the health of myself and others
  • I want an outlet to rant about food, the health of our nation, and other related topics without feeling like I'm being overbearing on my personal blog, and just in life in general...those around me... I have to refrain myself in everyday life so here I just let it all out! If you come to this blog, you know what you are getting yourself into, hehe ;)
  • I love to explore and find new yummy veggie recipes, and here is a place that I can share them with other veggies or omnivores who are trying to eat healthier!
About Me!
I'm Janine, and I'm a junior in college. I am a theatre performance major and I love to sing, act, dance, and perform in general. Visit my other blog where I talk about those kinds of things! :P
I'm a creative soul- so it doesn't stop at theatre! I also love to create jewelry and accessories, and sell them on my etsy store., and I'm a freelance makeup artist. I also love quirky fashion, vintage things, the 40s, makeup, bright colors, kickboxing, yoga, indian fabric, incense, laying out in the sun, dressing up, cats, painting, blogging, youtubing, belting showtunes in the car, sequins, flowers, and sprinkles. =]
I am a strict vegetarian meaning I don't eat any meat at all, including fish, and I don't purchase milk, cheese, or eggs- though I may eat them on occasion if I am out somewhere or something like that, so I can't really call myself vegan, although I pretty much eat vegan at home. (I live in Columbus, GA- not exactly a mecca of healthy restaurant selections.) Apart from my dietary habits, I also believe very strongly in being active. Right now I'm actually doing the P90x workout system, and I absolutely love it! I've fallen a bit off the wagon lately as I've been out of town quite frequently and things have been a bit wonky schedule wise, but now Spring Break is over and I'm ready to jump right back in. So far it's a major kick in the butt but I love it! Whenever I workout I feel so much better in general. I sleep well- I have more energy, and I feel more focused on life in general. It's good to get some sweat goin'!

Why did I become a vegetarian, and why is it so important to me?
It took one read of the book "Skinny Bitch" from cover to cover in one sitting to convince me to become vegetarian completely. Contrary to the cover, it is not all about how to "get skinny," but it really is a wake-up call on how the things that are normal to most people such as meat and milk are really making us fat and are detrimental to our health. It also sheds light on the horrors of the animal food industry. After more research regarding the sickening and disgusting ways animals are treated to then produce meat laden with hormones, antibiotics, and disease and infused with torture and hate- I decided that I just couldn't eat animals anymore.
Also, At this point I have a hard time differentiating between an animal bred to make food such as cows, pigs and chickens, and cats or dogs. I mean, what is the real difference? Cats and dogs are not socially acceptable to eat in America even though they are in other countries. Most people wouldn't dream of eating their beloved pet, yet have no problem slicing into a rack of ribs from a pig. It honestly seems a bit hypocritical to me! I just believe that it is completely possible to live a healthy lifestyle (actually, much healthier) without the consumption of meat. Yes, you need to do your research, and yes, you will probably need to learn to cook and be familiar with different types of produce. Once you figure out all the wonderfully interesting and delicious veggie meals out there, the standard "Meat & Potato" American diet seems awfully boring and bland! Becoming vegetarian has probably been one of the best decisions I have ever made for my own health and well-being and it makes me feel good to know that I am not partaking in cruelty of animals. =]

(I couldn't resist posting this. It is too adorable.)

No comments:

Post a Comment