Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Take two.

Ok. So you know my last post?
I'm going to be completely honest. It did not last as long as I had originally planned.
I got back into the routine of going out, eating chips and dip and ice cream like a crazy person (let alone, MOES all the time), going out for cocktails which add up in calories as well- so yeah. I ended up GAINING some more weight, and feeling really gross.

Well, those times are definitely over. All it took was a quick re-read of "Skinny Bitch," a new mentality on food, and I am on the road to being healthy and slim(mer) again.

I also made a realization about the way I eat: whenever I have food in front of me, I usually just scarf it all down. Everything that's in front of me. And I can do it in about 5 minutes flat. Now, what usually happens, especially at places like Moe's where you have a gargantuan amount of food is that I eat it so fast before my brain realizes that I am full- (You are supposed to take 20 minutes to eat so that your brain can process it!) and I over-eat. I thought that I just had a large appetite, but to be honest I was just over-eating. all. the. time. And in the process I'm sure I have been stretching out my stomach as well, causing me to continue this bad habit.

Well, like I said, I'm done with over-eating and stuffing myself. A strategy that I am going to use is using smaller plates to put food on, and just limiting myself in general. I don't HAVE to have a piece of toast AND fruit AND dessert with my bowl of pasta- I can just have the bowl of pasta. And eat it slower. Alot slower. I'm actually eating as I speak- some quinoa with chickpeas and diced tomatoes (Quinoa is a whole grain and a complete protein that is kind of like rice) on a small plate, and taking a little break between bites. I also drank a bottle of water before my meal, and I am already starting to feel full on alot less than usual.

I'm the type of person that can be very influenced by my own mindset- I mean like I can make a mental 180 pretty easily if I want to, so I really think that this may be a turning point for me. I'm sure at some points I will just want to ravenously scarf down everything in sight, but right now I seem to be doing pretty well. I just have this bad relationship with food where I just want to eat eat eat, instead of eating to sustain myself and my body.

I'm also going to go back to going primarily vegan again. Lately I have been sneaking in dairy products and eggs alot more than in the past, and I really feel like I have noticed the effects on my body. So no more dairy ice-cream, omelettes, or anything like that. Which will be hard in a way, but in another way not really. I have been used to eating really big extravagant breakfasts lately, but I am going to be paring that down to just 1 or 2 pieces of fruit, which is essentially the perfect food and is easier to digest on an empty stomach.
So when I say primarily vegan, I mean that I am not going to consciously eat dairy products if I can help it, however if I am offered something to eat that has trace amounts, I won't be totally anal about it!

I decided that it was beneficial for me to get rid of this excess weight I have put on, especially in the industry that I am going into. I know to the average person I seem "skinny" or whatever, but it is just depressing when you can't fit into your jeans that you used to be able to fit into, and clothes just aren't looking as good, and you see pictures of yourself that are just unflattering.

SO I have a new positive mindset and outlook and am ready to get super healthy again and kick these horrible summer habits to the wayside. Hopefully I can start working out again soon once I get my hip checked out- it still hurts to walk sometimes and I don't want to aggravate it too much until I know what is going on there.

OH! A new feature of this blog is to provide a recipe with each post. So in honor of what I'm eating right now, I'll post that!

Quinoa with Chickpeas

-1/2 cup Quinoa
-1 can chickpeas
-3/4 can diced tomatoes
-half an onion
-couple cloves garlic

-Bring the quinoa to a bowl in 1 cup water, then let it simmer for about 15 minutes. While that is cooking, sautee some onions and the garlic in another pan for abut 4 minutes. Add the chickpeas and tomatoes, and bring to low heat.
-Once the quinoa is done cooking, transfer it to the pan and add spices such as cayenne pepper, cumin, crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt, and chili powder to taste. ( I like everything a little spicy!)

And voila! You can also add veggies or whatever you want, and since Quinoa is a complete protein and chickpeas are pretty hearty- you can eat just that as your meal.
You can find Quinoa at Publix in the pasta section if you're wondering =]

1 comment:

  1. Hey Janine - it's Daisy -

    I just wanted to say thank you for recommending Skinny Bitch to me this past semester. I was in a really awful place because I was so depressed - eating so much junk and bad fast food and soda and who knows what else - and this actually made me MORE depressed! I appreciate you a lot for how much you care about your body and inspiring me to. Since I read it I have been vegetarian and soda-less for 2 weeks and I have you to thank for a lot of it :) you are a lovely person and I wish you luck with all you do. People don't get what it does to them and the goodness they can feel when they really commit!

    ReplyDelete